Sunday, June 26, 2011

Dance It Up!

Yup - it was the last stake dance for the summer tonight, and I am so glad I went. The fact that none of the gals that I usually hang around would be there almost made me stay home but for some reason I just felt like...getting out of the house (even though my sunburn isn't quite all gone yet...ow.) and it wa
s quite an adventure finding the place (should have known...gosh, it was Alpine - shoulda gotten the hint)

So the adventure started like this. First of all, I told my mom earlier that week that I wanted to go - so that she'd know she or someone at least needed to give me a ride - she was fine with it, didn't have to convince her or anything which was nice. Then Lilly even offered to drive me (huh?) (I know, I
was shocked too - usually I have have to warm her up to driving me ANYwhere) but my parents wouldn't let us take the convertible (car problems) so I had to wait for my parents to get home. They got home around 9...the dance started at 8 or 8:30 (not sure) but I was gonna be late anyway...so then we head out - my mom wanted to get some groceries so although Lil was driving, my mom was with us. So glad she was.

First of all, Google Maps? You're screwed up. I took down detailed directions on how to get to the stupid place, and we got lost (just like the first time I went to this stake center with Madison, Nick and Cameron - that was a car ride to remember, especially since Nick nearly swore...or did he swear, I can't remember - poor Madison was freaking stressed out by it too, guys are so rough on each other - good thing they're also super forgiving) anyway so we got lost trying to find the place, back and forth, Lilly got mad and nearly crashed because she forgot someone else had the right-of-way because she was upset at my directions; finally my mom heard me say something about getting to Alpine Blvd...wow. If we had known that then we could have found it TONS faster. After that, my mom knowing where we were going, we were able to find it EASILY.

So I get there and I'm supposed to party it up now right? Wrong. The moment I got out of the car this dude stands up and seeing my shorts (awesomely handbleached by moi) says I can't go. My heart basically sank to my toes...I'd been slightly looking forward to dancing with my friend who said they might be there, and the fact that we went through the stupid effort to get there just to find out I couldn't go? Yah, sucked. By then it was like 9:54 or something, so we drive home. My mom knowing I'd wanted to dance with my friend...and being the absolute angel that she is, told me that she'd rush me home, I could change and she'd bring me back.

That's what we did then, rushed home, I changed and we hurried back. I realized halfway there that I'd left the cell phone in my shorts' back pocket...ugh I thought but didn't think it was a big enough deal to go back for. Kind of wish I had... oh well.

So then I got back, it was weird - the dance was outside (?) but that was cool anyway, different sort of fun. I stood sort of by Maddie and Kinley (gosh I love Kinley - she is so sweet and really funny and just great person to be around) and saw Madison (who looked like a major stud, gotta say - as a friend of course) and Kennedi and Emily and Cameron...and...am I forgetting anyone? Well just a good handful of people from school. (: it was so nice to see them all!

So then the first slow song I'm there for...this complete stranger asked me to dance! It totally made my day that a guy asked me to dance...that's just not really the sort of thing that happens to me; guess I was just at the right place at the right time. Anyway his name was Jordan, I told him that was my brother's name. We talked about dances, he mentioned that this was his first one because he'd just moved from Northern Cali, I asked him but it was nowhere I was familiar with (not like I'm familiar at all with it, but I do know where San Jose and LA are so...haha). Then we talked about schools, sports - he likes soccer, and he said it was his favorite sport to watch, I told him how I used to watch our school's team - then I told him about how I used to love to watch Lacrosse, which is funny because I think he barely even knew what Lacrosse was (poor soul). I told him I was glad he'd asked me to dance and he said he was glad he asked me (kind of wish he'd asked for my number or something but oh well), he said he was surprised at himself for coming because he's not very outgoing and kind of sky - I told him I didn't think so because he asked a complete stranger to dance - he laughed at that (good laugh). Anyway - that was really fun. I love meeting new people who actually want to meet you too! Especially if they're willing to talk, I hate those slow songs where you're just...swaying...hoping the other person will move their vocal chords and never does. Anyway - it wasn't like that and if I had only danced with him it would have been worth coming...........maybe....or maybe that was just the icing on the cake and the real value in coming came later...hm (:

So a few awkward songs and dances later, I danced a slow with Jacob Frazier - what a funny guy (: haha he is awesome though. Then some more bouncing songs. I love to just let go to the music. Sometimes, depending on who you are with you can let go more or less easily and maybe this was one of those times when it was harder but I still had fun. Something about bouncing and feeling that beat in my chest...yah I'm a music weirdo/freak - probably why that's what I'll eventually go to college for...no matter how much I avoid it. It's my fate... (Lilly hates it when I use that word) hahaha.

Then they announced the last dance. I was kind of surprised that it came so soon (but then I didn't even get there till 10:30...and it ended at 11 - shouldn't have been so surprised). It was one of my favorite songs (one I danced with Madison once - go figure haha) seeing as that's the exact person who asked me to dance it with him. I'm so glad that I asked him to save me a dance beforehand...otherwise I might have missed an awesome chance. It was so nice, we talked about me moving, his brother coming back among other things; but overall what stuck out to me was that it just felt like we were friends again, really truly - even after all the jerkish things I've said and done. He's a really forgiving person...which is awesome. (:

Oh and he got new shoes. Random that I noticed that I know...but I kind of notice those things. I'm cool like that. Little things make a difference. And maybe Jordan asking me to dance was fun...but this was better in its own awesome way.

Then the prayer was said. We talked some more (I can't remember which parts of conversation were before or after the prayer though...but does it matter? We talked normally) (: teasing and having a good time just like friends.

I borrowed Jacob Kleinman's phone to get my mom to give me a ride home and after that dodged talking to a guy I knew...who is really talkative and is that kind of person that if you see them and they see you - they chase you down; so I dodged through the crowd randomly, then waited awkwardly on a corner sort of waiting for my mom. I peeked around a little bit to see where everyone was but for the most part they were just all talking. I didn't feel comfortable just barging in on anyone so I just continued to stand...awkwardly...(yah I have a skill for awkward).

As Madison and them were all leaving I said bye thinking that they - he - wouldn't really hear me anyway; turns out Madison started to talk to me, which was fun. Talked about the shoes (: haha - he invited me to go get ice cream with them (and I reaaalllyyy wanted to..) but I didn't have money (even if Madison said I could dig on him haha) :P and there wasn't room in the car, anyway - it just didn't work out, plus I'd already called my mom. Gave him a hug and teased with Cameron about giving him a kiss - the silly dork haha, (totally wanted to steal the hat and smirk off his face but oh well), I'm glad that goodbye was happy. (:

So then I just sat on the hill next to the church waiting for my mom...the kid I had tried to dodge found me, and I couldn't escape...ugh, so I resigned myself to my fate and talked to him - which actually turned out not to be so bad. He's a little awkward...and strangely huggy for someone I don't know so well, but it was ok in the end. I thought I was the best person at making things awkward? I think I found another winner.

So then he left...and I sat on the hill...alone...

For a long time...

The lights outside went out...that was sketchy...

I headed toward the other groups of people out there still waiting, just so that I was closer to people - sometimes its nice to just be around people, even if you're not with them. I also was thinking that if I gathered enough courage I'd ask one of them if I could borrow a phone so I could make sure my mom hadn't forgotten about me (wishing just about then that I had gone back for my cell...see?)

Then this mom drove by and asked if I needed a ride, I said no but asked if I could use her phone. By then my mom was about five minutes away so it was all good (at least she was on her way haha). Then this random girl told me to come join her group of friends, her name was Abby (I can't remember what her friends' names were....sorry!) but they were a REALLY nice group of people! Like...I cannot believe how friendly they were. (: One of the girls said she wanted to see my face so she shone her phone at me, and the two girls were like "oh you're so pretty!" as if they were a little surprised haha but it still made me feel good. One of their friends had his arm in a sling, I asked him how it happened...he said he got in a fight with a bear but he won. (To each his own kind of humor) but honestly, who can be so outgoing when talking to a stranger (even if you are with your friends) anyhow.

Them my mom showed up and drove me home. We talked in the car, a little about fate and all that stuff crossed my mind, what with the shorts, not being able to find the place, my only pair of long pants having been washed just that day, all those hard and good little things - leading up to this night, that actually turned out pretty good. We also talked about music and I told her that in our generation...we listen to much different music than she did - she disagreed, haha, but I'm going to show her some songs and she'll understand what I mean. (: then we got home, ate pizza and now I am writing this...at 1:31 at night/morning...and...all in all it was a pretty good night. (:

Kaylla

PS - gotta say the best part? was just the fact that with certain people I really was able to see that we can just be friends - and good ones at that. That makes me....really happy.

Night!

1 comment:

Kinley Moss said...

Kaylla! You are soo cute! I love your blog and you are so nice to say that about me :) It completely made my day. I miss you and hope all is well!
Love ya! <3