Saturday, October 1, 2011

What Will I Choose...?

I've been wondering recently about a certain change I have the opportunity to make in my life. My choice in media, filmwise. It's a daunting decision, one that if I make it - I'll be determined to keep it for the rest of my life. What is this choice you may ask? Changing my personal screening habits to not viewing PG-13 and higher rated movies.

What brought on this thought processing...? My friend, the one I can't seem to talk enough to - and not because of any silly ideas you may be getting as a nosy what-is-kaylla-doing-with-her-romantic-life kind of person...but because I can talk to him about most anything and get a completely unbiased opinion, an honest one and one that is completely based on common sense- whoa long tangent - anyway, he has this rule with himself. To this day because he's kept it he no longer even desires to watch movies from which he can't feel the spirit.

I've been so desensitized. But I'm scared to give up all those things that have entertained me previously. Seriously, my self-deemed favorite movie is PG-13...and Lord of the Rings as well. How do I draw the line?

Or maybe the question is should I draw the line?

Here's some thoughts I've had: I don't want to be desensitized {good job Kaylla...} but are the messages of some movies worth the rating? Like Lord of the Rings for instance? Classic movies too, not all are PG. I looked up a movie that I destroyed in Mr. Carman's Media Burning Project and it was only PG. So are some PG-13 movies worth the rating? And are some PG movies not worth the rating? How do I determine between the two. How do I stay strong to myself unless I have a strict guide of yes and no to certain ratings?

I'm not really sure what I will do.

Side thoughts too: Mr. Carman, I don't want to repeat that experience in any way...but there was always some truth in the things that he taught us, in fact a lot of truth. But how do I make this not...another experience like that? If I do this for someone else, like my friend...if we ever are not friends any more, will I break my commitment?

So if I do this, it has to be completely me.

I haven't decided. Maybe it will be something that takes me a while to decide...I won't rush into this. But it's something I've pondered this weekend, since my conversation with Seth in front of the library. I was even thinking about it while with my friends Kaytlyn and Kelsey watching our favorite TV show, Haven, because I don't think that show would pass a PG rating. I'm confused on what to do. But I'm thinking...thinking lots and lots...

love you,

Kaylla.

No comments: