Sunday, July 29, 2012

the singles ward experience.

i was sick that morning, so i went to the singles ward later in the day with my sister so that i wouldn't miss sacrament. it was an odd decision for me to make but now i see that it was a necessary one.

honestly i can say that i was definitely a bit creeped out by all of the older men making eyes at the younger females. new meat. innocent hearts to break. not gonna lie, it must be really enticing for certain types of the male specimen. not a type i am looking forward to befriending in any way.

my sister and i exchanged short notes during the talks. mine mostly made comments on my extreme fear of the balding males and giggling females. i was definitely right about my deep-seated fear about singles wards. hazardous grounds were we on. tread carefully we must. avert thine eyes ye precious unbroken hearts.

save yourselves while you still can!

it was later in the meeting when a lone stranger {almost hairless} came in search of his scriptures on our row and afterward decided to seat himself next to me. terrified, i let him but was wary to have any contact. i removed my purse on the other side of me so i could slyly scoot closer to my sister and to safety.

he briefly mentioned something about the music and then afterward we talked a bit more. i felt so awkward. i was so out of place in this older people's zone. i wanted to put my little kid antics on and run away, shouting i hate dresses and silly people. of course i couldn't though and eventually he asked for my number and mentioned/asked if we could possibly go out some time. i was shocked.

does this normally happen on a girl's first time to the single's ward? were my thoughts.

and now almost a week later, after the date and after the whole experience is over...i am thankful. who would have expected that? i know why us young'ns are encouraged to date around, find what we do and do not like about people. i have discovered many things that i don't like, and recognized that multiple have those things which i do like.

but for the record: i like hair, i like being right - even {if not especially when i am wrong}, i like reasoning and sound minds, and i like peace and quiet - not always searching for songs on the radio {because i believe that silence...is beautiful too.}

and this statement is not a criticism....rather me just taking note.

oh and i don't really care for coldstone ice-creams. but then i already knew that one.

No comments: