Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"you is kind, you is smart, you is impor'ant."

that line is from the movie The Help. i liked it, however i probably won't watch it again because the film had some language issues. other than that though...i really liked it.

it was interesting, i had been talking to my mom previous to watching it about how some people tease me in my friendship with seth. she explained to me that i shouldn't let it bother me, that people don't know any better really and that no matter what i shouldn't change my friendship because of what outside influences think. it should be my decision and my decision only if anything ever changes. and at the rate that we are going...we'll probably be best friends for a very, very long time. in other words...when people tease now, i don't really care.

anyway there was this part in the film where the main girl's mammy, the african-american woman who basically raised her was giving her some advice on how to handle the boys at school teasing her. the woman talking to her is named constantine and the young girl's name is eugenia {or skeeter}.

every day you're not dead in the ground, when you wake up in the morning, you're gonna have to make some decisions. got to ask yourself this question: "am i gonna believe all them bad things them fools say about me today?" you hear me today? "am i gonna believe all them bad things them fools say about me today? you hear me today?" all right? as for your mama, she didn't pick her life. it picked her. But you, you're gonna do something big with yours. you wait and see.

like i said..i like that part.

i reminds me of when an old friend of mine told me that i was completely in control of everything that i felt, all my emotions, all my hurts and loves. everything. we also choose how we react to the people around us. day by day we make decisions, and it is those decisions that form the very life we life, what we do and through that...essentially becomes who we are.

another character in the story named aibileen, who is also an african-american maid has this mantra for the child that she looks after. i quoted it for my title. every day, and every time something bad happens, she makes sure that little Mae Mobley knows that she is kind, smart and important; some of the most important lessons a mother could teach a daughter, and sadly that these southern women have a hard time teaching or even understanding themselves.

and that is one of life's most important lessons...only for me i would say it in another sentence: "you are a child of God. a princess and a diamond." to know your worth and to know who you are and what you are, is one of the truest blessings to have in life. with it you can do so much

and without it you very well could fail.

so always remember:

you is kind. you is smart. and you is impor'ant.

No comments: